Vray crashes with MS and Shadowmap

bibi5000

Vray crashes with MS and Shadowmap

Post by bibi5000 »

I ran into a problem with Vray crashing (Unhandled exception: Updating render lights) if there are Multiscatter Objects and a light with a shadow map in the scene. If the Multiscatter object is deleted, it renders just fine as it does if a different shadow casting method is selected. This makes it hard to render volume lights. The problem is reproducible, we are using 3dsmax 2012, Vray 2.20.03 and Multiscatter 1.1.09.

Is it possible that this problem is caused by Multiscatter? And if so, is it a known problem?
bibi5000

Re: Vray crashes with MS and Shadowmap

Post by bibi5000 »

Does nobody else have this problem? If not, I'll have to search for other causes for these crashes.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Try to use VrayShadowMap.
thiesi

Post by thiesi »

I don't know if vray shadow map is working for the person which started this thread but on my workstation it doesn't work. the only kind of shadows which is working with volume light in vray is shadow map (standard 3ds max shadow map). but with multiscatter vray shows an error message.

so this is a big problem / a "bug" to clean. imagine a forest with sun beams in fog in autumn. this is currently only to realize with vray environment fog. but this way needs very much calculation power. not good for short production timelines.

hope, my post will reach the developers.