Opacity mapped objects

YiltoR

Opacity mapped objects

Post by YiltoR »

Hello,

I face a problem with MultiScatter: I scatter a quite simple object on a plane. This object is a 600 000 polygons bush model: not full 3D but opacity mapped planes for the leaves. I turn it into proxy then I scatter 15 objects. I check that opacity maps filtering is set to "none" as I know VRay becomes very slow if set to Pyramidal or Summed Area. Scattered bushes are part of a bigger scene but nothing too fancy. I setup VRay as IrrMap + Light Cache and went for a 3700 pixel wide render.
First, LC calulation begins: RAM is 24Gb busy (my workstation is 48Gb RAM). Then IM calculation goes on and RAM is still 24Gb busy. Then, render calculation starts, and when buckets arrive on scattered bushes here comes the problem: RAM becomes fully used (48Gb) and page file is 15 Gb filled too, so 63 Gb of total RAM consumption ! And render becomes very slow when rendering scattered bushes.
I found the following workaround: first I scatter the object itself instead of its proxy. Then I collapse it to a single mesh, turn it to proxy and render. This time everything works fine: no more excessive RAM consumption, no more big render times.
But it is quite disapointing about Multiscatter.
Can you tell me am I doing something wrong ? Or is Multiscatter not good with opacity mapped proxy objects ?
Please let me know,
Regards,
anvar

Re: Opacity mapped objects

Post by anvar »

anvar

Post by anvar »

please send us the file to troubleshoot
YiltoR

Post by YiltoR »

I am quite busy at the moment. I will be back to you asap.
Thank you for your support.
Regards,
YiltoR

Post by YiltoR »

Hi,

Finally it seems that my problem is not related to MultiScatter because excessive RAM consumption appears even with no MultiScatter object in the scene (I used the "collapse to single mesh" feature of MultiScatter and then converted the result into VRayProxy and the problem remains). So I am going to post on ChaosGroup support forum to get help.
Sorry for having disturbing you,
Regards,