should i upgrade from vray scatter?

chris.erskine

should i upgrade from vray scatter?

Post by chris.erskine »

I've been using vray scatter for a while. but I've found it dosen't cope that well with the scenes i deal with (being large scale arch viz work). though when it dose work on the odd smaller jobs i find it really useful and fast to get good results.

Though on most of the things I work on I've found it crashes a lot and i have to end up going back to the old way of placeing point and the replacing those with the vray proxies. but this takes a lot longer than using vrayscatter but at least it works. and i never have

now my problem could be solved. if at that the times that it can't handle the scene i could collapse the vrayscatter to standard vray proxies, or even just points with location and rotation applied (even just location would be enough). that i could then replace with proxies.

this would also help to delete proxies when the spline outline dosen't work properly and proxies start appearing where their not meant to be (happens quite a bit)

now as far as i understand vrayscatter is no longer being worked on and i'm not holding my breath for any new features or improvements there. So I'm left with the options of using vray scatter only for a fraction of the vegetation and using standard proxies for the majorty of my trees and shrubs as i am now. or I could upgrade to multi-scatter, go to something like forest pro or groundwiz.

I've read through the feature list and it now list collapsing to mesh as an option. is this just standard mesh? or can it go to vray proxies or helpers like points. I think for my scenes going to a straight mesh isn't a very good option though it is a start.

anyway i don't think i'd be willing to spend anymore money unless i had the option to render collapse the multi-scatter object to either vray proxies or point helper objects. I like how quickly it is to setup. just had too much pain trying to fix it with the only option of deleting it and doing it the slow way.