IF YOU USE LIGHTCACHE

admin
Site Admin

IF YOU USE LIGHTCACHE

Post by admin »

Light Cache is very fast algorithm, but there are some drawbacks. Light Cache needs much more RAM than other V-Ray GI algorithms. MultiScatter is a tool for creating huge amount of geometries which also needs RAM. therefore there is a big chance to encounter problems (very slow rendering or crashing) when you use LC with MultiScatter.

So using Light Cache in exterior visualisation consumes lots of memory wherever you are using MultiScatter or not, and its just our very general recommendation not to use it, unless you really know what you are doing and have tons of memory.
Da_Elf

Re: IF YOU USE LIGHTCACHE

Post by Da_Elf »

i was merrily going about my renders with lightcache in exteriors with MS 1.3.2.3. That was the last one i had downloaded and installed. Was always too busy to get a newer one. Something happened with my lic file so had to get a new one and it was recommended i upgrade. I got MultiScatter For 3dsmax-1.052 and installed it for the appropriate version of max and vray that i had. Now when i went and clicked render it hung on lightcache. I tried about 3 times same results. So i switched back to 1.3.2.3 and reopened and clicked render and in the time its taken to write this my LC is finished and im on prepass 3 of 4. I've got 16GB ram in my i3 and i7, and 32GB ram in the i5 so I'm not too worried about RAM right now.
anvar

Post by anvar »

can you send us your scene? together with max and V-Ray versions please
Da_Elf

Post by Da_Elf »

the scene is about a gig and thats without textures and proxies. i will try to strip down the scene and try a render with minimum items