VrayScatter For Maya 1.9.9 RC

morbidangel

Re: VrayScatter For Maya 1.9.9 beta 2

Post by morbidangel »

can you also please add enable/disable switch for vray scatter node, would be very handy to do test renders on select scatters.
bdancer

Post by bdancer »

>> it maxes out ram right away and crashes
Sorry I can't help without any info and/or scene.

>> The mll file was missing.
In what setup? Maya/vray/type?

>> and I can't not have it, this is how maya works internally
Then just ignore this messages, they wont broke anything.

>> can you also please add enable/disable switch for vray scatter node
Ok.
morbidangel

Post by morbidangel »

Ok, so with the crazy ram usage here is what happened:

I have installed new vray scatter, but I had forgotten to copy the VrayScatter.mll node to the plugin directory. And when I went to open the scene which had vray scatter nodes, maya simply runout of ram and crashed. I checked the vray scatter install folder and fixed the problem and after that the scene opens as expected.
morbidangel

Re: VrayScatter For Maya 1.9.9 beta 3

Post by morbidangel »

Thanks for the update. The cpu usage now seems to be correct in my scene. I can switch between frames quite fast and also there is no cpu hog after the frame render completes. Also the enable switch is great!

Edit:
I think that vray scatter still has issue when going from frame to frame. It uses a lot of cpu and takes a lot of time to switch between frames. It stopped doing that when I disabled the scatter nodes (using new enable switch). But if some are enabled, then its still slow.
bdancer

Post by bdancer »

Could you please send me a scene showing this issue?
morbidangel

Post by morbidangel »

I figured it out. So at one point I had a camera attached to the vray scatter to clip them based on FOV, however I later disabled it (checked off use) under camera tab. However even after its disabled its still being evaluated for each frame in maya timeline when I scrub on input specific frame, thats why the scatter objects are being evaluated each time. Can you make it so once disabled it does not evaluate?
morbidangel

Post by morbidangel »

Hey do you think its possible to add distribution by texture, like you have in multiscatter in max? I really could use that right now, instead of creating 4-5 different containers with maps to offset the proxy distribution...
bdancer

Re: VrayScatter For Maya 2.0.0 RC

Post by bdancer »

morbidangel, I've added color distribution texture support, scatter object's "Color" attr should match texture color with some "Mask color variance" attr. About frame change I still need a scene to find the reason in code quicker.
morbidangel

Post by morbidangel »

Ok, its not so simple for me to send you a scene, a lot of NDA involved. The scene also contains a lot of data, I will see about trying to simplify it before I can send.
morbidangel

Post by morbidangel »

I get an error with the new build, if I select geometry that has already a vray scatter container in it, it prints:

// Error: line 1: There is no connection from 'polyPrimitiveMisc27.output' to 'VRayScatterPrimShape.inMesh' to disconnect //
// Error: line 1: 'VRayScatterPrimShape.inMesh' already has an incoming connection from 'polyPrimitiveMisc27.output'. //

Edit:
I think the problem is, I have previous scatters grouped and when a new scatter is created, the scatterPrim node does not get numbered so I end up with two duplicates, one in a group and one outside of the group...