setting the color texture in Vray Scatter

replaced by MultiScatter
irishadam

setting the color texture in Vray Scatter

Post by irishadam »

Hello all
Just installed Vray Scatter yesterday - seems like a pretty damn cool tool. I am using Vray 1.5spk 3 and 3dsmax 9 spk.2
The problem I am having is how to set the color of objects using Vray Scatter Texture. It doesn't seem to make any difference to the color of the object if I use the texture in the Color Texture slot. It only seems to make a difference if I aply it directly onto the objects.
The description in the manual isn't great - maybe somebody can walk me through the process.

Thanks as always

irishadam
stevesideas

Re: setting the color texture in Vray Scatter

Post by stevesideas »

Did you manage to resolve the colour problem. Im not having any luck with getting the vrayscatter texture to work either !!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We dont't know about problems with VrayScatterTexture. It works fine. Please explain you difficulties.
stevesideas

Post by stevesideas »

I am confused where you put the vrayscattertexture and where you put your material for the vraymesh. Do I apply the vrayscattertexture to the vrayscatter object or to the surface it is laying on.

If I apply the vrayscatter texture in the diffuse slot and then apply it to the vrayscatter object, it takes on the uvw mapping coords of the original texture which is incorrect. So basically Im asking how I setup some grass blades with one texture (that has a uvw map for the blades of grass) and then apply the vrayscattertexture to the vrayscatter object to change the hue of the different vraymeshes over that are applied to the surface....... The video tutorial really doesnt help at all. I have attached 2 examples of what I have tried.

Any help is really appreciated.
vraytexture2.jpg
vraytexture2.jpg (406.49 KiB) Viewed 15729 times
vraytexture1.jpg
vraytexture1.jpg (407.92 KiB) Viewed 15729 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Basically VrayScatter Texture gives to you two different possibilities:
1. Randomize colors. VrayScatter Texture makes only pure different colors. But if you want to get color variations with texture, you need to setup any composite material - mix or blend or something else. Image
2. Get colors from texture which applyed to surface below scattered objects (Option "use object color" in VrayScatter options and VrayVrayScatter Texture options. It is working only if it enabled in both places)
Here you can look at MultiScatter tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSPPjMXdY1c
In VraScatter this feature works in the same way
stevesideas

Post by stevesideas »

Thanks for reply.

No 2 sounds like the option I want. So I need to put a vrayscattertexture into the diffuse slot for the base material and the vrayscatter tex slot ? - I'll check out the video tutorial actually..just wanted to confirm.

Cheers

Steve
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1 You need to use VrayScatterTexture in material of distributed objects. Switch on "use obj color" in VrayScatterTexture options
2 Put any texture in Object color slot in VrayScatter options