crashes / wishlist

replaced by MultiScatter
chris.erskine

crashes / wishlist

Post by chris.erskine »

I've got a number of scenes that are crashing due to vray scatter. Its happening at the light cache phase. these are large scale scenes showing existing city with new area's. I'm using vray scatter for the background trees.

I'd like the option to collapse the vray scatter object into the individual vray proxies. and therefore not have to worry about it again.

thanks

Chris
Karba

Re: crashes / wishlist

Post by Karba »

What light types do you use?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

chris.erskine wrote:I've got a number of scenes that are crashing due to vray scatter. Its happening at the light cache phase. these are large scale scenes showing existing city with new area's. I'm using vray scatter for the background trees.

I'd like the option to collapse the vray scatter object into the individual vray proxies. and therefore not have to worry about it again.

thanks

Chris
I think it i wrong decision to use lightcache with huge heavy scenes. Yes it is faster then qmc/dmc but need much more memory. I'm sure that without VrayScatter but with huge amount of proxy situation will be the same. What kind of system you are using? 32 or 64 bit? Please attach screenshot of your Vray settings.
chris.erskine

Post by chris.erskine »

I'm currently using hdr's. though have been using the sun/sky system as well.

I'm using a few q6600 with 8gb ram on xp64.

I've done much bigger scenes with just vray proxies though take a lot longer to set them up.

lc setting are low around 200, with low irradiance settings.

i've been setting the default geometry to either dynamic or auto. and memory limit to between 3500 - 7000.

i will have a go without lc

cheers
chris.erskine

Post by chris.erskine »

I just tried rendering with irrad/brute force.

It crashes right at the start of the irrad pass now.

I'll have a at qmc/brute force.
chris.erskine

Post by chris.erskine »

I just tried it again with brute force/brute force. and it failed again.

I can render it if its just the single xref with the vray scatter trees. so it would be possible to composite it but don't really want to have to do that.

vray scatter has been a bit hit or miss on the last few jobs. it would just be good to have the option to convert to standard proxies before rendering.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello,
It is really hard to understand that you are doing wrong. We have done really complicate scenes on the same us yours hardware.
If you can send your scene to us - it will be great.
We think about adding conversion to proxy for next version.
chris.erskine

Post by chris.erskine »

I won't be able to send the current scene I'm working on. but I'll try to put together a test scene that shows the problem. I just need to get a few deadlines out first.

the scene that I'm having problems with isn't that much. between 30,000 - 70,000 tree's. I've done others with the same proxy object that have been a few million and that was fine. So there are other things going on that its not liking.

anyway I'll try and get a test scene together once i have some spare time.

thanks

Chris
Karba

Post by Karba »

Do you use Normal Bump?
chris.erskine

Post by chris.erskine »

no, though i'm probably using large maps to place the trees. I'll test it out when i get some spare time in a few days.

I've been able to render the scene in separate passes. it would just make life a lot easier if it would all work in one pass.