Ideas of using VrayScatter

replaced by MultiScatter
Duche

Ideas of using VrayScatter

Post by Duche »

Common using of VryScatter is making of forests, grass, flowers, crowds and fur.
Version 2.0 has much more controls and possibilitys. It will be great if vrayscatter customers will publish examples of ideas of unusual VRS practice in this topic.
simmsimaging

Re: Ideas of using VrayScatter

Post by simmsimaging »

I am looking at buying VrayScatter, but a lot of times I need to scatter in a semi-organized fashion. I know the previous version only did random scattering - does the new controls and possibilities include any non-random scattering options? I may have used for it anyway, but that is more important for my work.

Thanks - and just as an fyi I am only really considering buying now that you have stopped charging for rendernodes - I think that was a very good decision :)

b
Brett Simms Imaging
www.simmsimaging.com
Duche

Post by Duche »

simmsimaging wrote:I am looking at buying VrayScatter, but a lot of times I need to scatter in a semi-organized fashion. I know the previous version only did random scattering - does the new controls and possibilities include any non-random scattering options? I may have used for it anyway, but that is more important for my work.
Now its impossible to make complete regular structures. But in version 2.0 you have much more control using collisions and distributing textures. Examples well be available on forum soon.
Please explain - what do you mean under "semi-organized fashion". I think we will try to implement regular structures in next version.

simmsimaging wrote: Thanks - and just as an fyi I am only really considering buying now that you have stopped charging for rendernodes - I think that was a very good decision :)
Rendernodes are FREE!!! Starting from version 2.0 you must bye only workstation license - unlimited rendernodes are free.
simmsimaging

Post by simmsimaging »

Rendernodes are FREE!!! Starting from version 2.0 you must bye only workstation license - unlimited rendernodes are free.
I realize this - I was saying that I think this was a very good idea because without it I would not be able to consider buying it at all!
Please explain - what do you mean under "semi-organized fashion".
This is part of a job that I was working on recently. I needed to create a pyramid of bottles for this one, and for the others a number of long winding lines of bottles, and for another I had to make rows and rows that looked like seats in an arena or coliseum, all with minor randomization but without much collisions. It was not terribly difficult to array them in Max, but it was very slow to work with even with the 500-600 bottles that were in most of the scenes.
TOH_05.jpg
TOH_05.jpg (169.53 KiB) Viewed 17788 times
Brett Simms Imaging
www.simmsimaging.com
Duche

Post by Duche »

No problem to make this kind of scattering of bottles by current version of VrayScatter
simmsimaging

Post by simmsimaging »

Actually I think it might be a problem. Controlling the exact level of the bottles so that they don't interpenetrate too much would be okay, but I had to do a lot of individual bottle tweaking and removing etc to get what was needed. With VrayScatter it's much of a take or leave it with the whole thing - at least from what I can see. If we could select and remove individual instances then it would be okay, because you could delete problem ones and then manually put in a replacement etc. Right now that just does not seem possible.

Can you select single instances in the full version (is it different from the demo at all?)

b
Brett Simms Imaging
www.simmsimaging.com
Duche

Post by Duche »

simmsimaging

Post by simmsimaging »

You seemed to be answering about the question of defining areas - I get that totally, but does this mean that will not be possible to select and remove single instances here and there? This is a pretty big limitation as it means VrayScatter will be almost useless in a large range of potential images. I realize it has a lot of power and use for many things as well, but being able to control your compositions is a really important thing outside of just making forests etc.
Brett Simms Imaging
www.simmsimaging.com
Duche

Post by Duche »

simmsimaging wrote:You seemed to be answering about the question of defining areas - I get that totally, but does this mean that will not be possible to select and remove single instances here and there? This is a pretty big limitation as it means VrayScatter will be almost useless in a large range of potential images. I realize it has a lot of power and use for many things as well, but being able to control your compositions is a really important thing outside of just making forests etc.
Yes VrayScatter has this limitation because 3dsmax dont know where is proxy will be placed until starting rendering process. If VrayScatter give coordinates all proxies to 3ds max (it needs to control proxy placement) it takes a lot of memory (gigs),will be slow and max file will be huge. Number of proxies will be limited. (about 1 million against hundred millions in VrayScatter now). Just lets try to make max file with 1 million objects (even with only one poilygon for one object and all instance). You cant work with it file - it will be slow ang huge. Thats why VrayScatter dont know were is poxies will be placed, it calculate placing and transformations in rendering time. If you need to control some of proxies - add it by hand. If you need small amount of proxy and wants to control it - use many other tools and scripts. Most of them available for free.
Last edited by Duche on Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
simmsimaging

Post by simmsimaging »

Okay - I understand better now. Thank you.

b
Brett Simms Imaging
www.simmsimaging.com