Odd Rendering Speed

replaced by MultiScatter
Smalerbi

Odd Rendering Speed

Post by Smalerbi »

Hello All,

I was curious to know if anyone has experienced this with Vray Scatter. I worked on a project that had hundreds of scatter tree objects in the scene. I sent the project out for animation and we found something very odd. The job was rendered over 50 machines or so, some of them dual - 2 core and some dual - 4 core. We found the 2 core processors where out performing the quads by 2 to 1 and sometimes 3 times faster. You would think it would be the other way around.

I have another job I’m working on that has several hundred scatter objects in the scene. The subcontractor has upgraded all of his 2 core machines to 4 cores. The problem is, it will take two to three times longer to render the job and it will also increase the rendering cost as well. Has anyone run into this problem or is there a setting I am missing?

Thanks,

Scott.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Odd Rendering Speed

Post by admin »

It is memory problem. More cores needs more memory. If you don't have enough memory, vray switch to dynamic memory mode (uploading and downloading information to HDD). It is very-very slow mode.
Also very important to made correct V-ray rendering settings.
Smalerbi

Re: Odd Rendering Speed

Post by Smalerbi »

admin wrote:It is memory problem. More cores needs more memory. If you don't have enough memory, vray switch to dynamic memory mode (uploading and downloading information to HDD). It is very-very slow mode.
Also very important to made correct V-ray rendering settings.
Yes….it was a memory issue. I posted the same question on the Vray forum and the suggestion was to raise the default setting from 400mb to 4gig. That made a difference. I also changed the Dynamic memory from Auto to Static. That gave is a little turbo boost. Just curious…….is multi-scatter faster? I was able to get a free upgrade from Vray.com because of my purchased date of Vray Scatter but I have not used it as of yet. I need to finish up on my current project before switching horses.

Thanks,

Scott