Options

replaced by MultiScatter
Maxer

Options

Post by Maxer »

I've got a few suggestions for future versions of VrayScatter.

-Proxies currently show up as simple boxes, we need an option to turn on a more detailed view because it's very hard to distinguish between them.
-It would be nice to have the ability to remove or move specific proxy's within the scattered group.
-It's critical to be able to create boundaries within the area that the scattered proxies are being applied. This would allow the user to designate areas where scattered proxies would not go, or would go depending on your needs.
-It would be more convenient if proxies would maintain their original materials once distributed instead of having a generic color applied to them.
-scaling seems to be off, sometimes it works but other times it doesn’t.

I really like this program it's saved me so much time, I'm only offering these suggestions because I want this software to be successful. :D
simmsimaging

Re: Options

Post by simmsimaging »

+ 1 on most of those comments, but especially the ability to select and remove specific proxy instances. Without that I many of the uses I have for the plug in go out the window.
Brett Simms Imaging
www.simmsimaging.com
Duche

Post by Duche »

Maxer wrote:I've got a few suggestions for future versions of VrayScatter.

-Proxies currently show up as simple boxes, we need an option to turn on a more detailed view because it's very hard to distinguish between them.
-It would be nice to have the ability to remove or move specific proxy's within the scattered group.
Why VrayScatter so fast and givs possibilty to create millions and hundred millons of objects? Because objects generates only during rendering process - it's main idea of VrayScatter. This wishes impossible to impliment in this way. But you always can combine VrayScatter with proxies added by hand
Maxer wrote: -It's critical to be able to create boundaries within the area that the scattered proxies are being applied. This would allow the user to designate areas where scattered proxies would not go, or would go depending on your needs.
Using mask for distribution area is much more flaxible. By mask you can not only make any shape boundary, but also to control density of distribution.
Maxer wrote: -It would be more convenient if proxies would maintain their original materials once distributed instead of having a generic color applied to them.
Proxy file don't contain materials - its question to Vray developes
Maxer wrote: -scaling seems to be off, sometimes it works but other times it doesn’t.
I don't understand the problem. We have many options for scaling and its working perfectly.

Thank you for your wishes.
Maxer

Post by Maxer »

Duche,
I understand that by using simple boxes to represent the scattered proxy's it's much faster and I'm not suggesting that you change that I'm saying that if you have 10 or 20 different proxies in the scene it's very hard to figure out which one is which. What if every time you created a scattered group of proxies the first proxy is represented as proxies are currently represented in Vray and all other associated proxies are just shown as a simple box, which would allow the user to see what each distributed group consisted of.

So far I haven't been able to get masks to work, you should really provide a more in depth example of their operation and implementation in the user manual. Having said that it still takes time to make a mask where as a simple poly line defining an area would only take a few seconds to create and would give the program a lot more flexibility.

Proxies that are created properly and saved can be merged into any file and they come in with their materials attached, if that weren’t the case then you'd have to recreate the proxy every time you started a new file. Right now even if you create the proxy in the file once you use vray scatter the proxy's material is replaced with a simple color, if I want to keep the proxy material it originally had I have to first put the material in the material editor before scattering the proxy. Once it's scattered then I have to reapply the material, this is inconvenient and should be a simple fix.

As for scaling I'm not sure if the actual proxy is being scaled wrong or if the preview window is just showing it incorrectly but there is definitely something wrong. If you still don't understand I'll do some tests Monday and give you a more precise explanation of what is going on.
trick

Post by trick »

I agree with all the suggestions, but at the same time I can also see that with this system it is not that easy. If you really need this then I suggest you look at GroundWiz: it has the ability to show the full proxy previews and you can spray instances exactly where you want them. I always make a course render, put it as a background image in the Max viewport, and paint with GroundWiz the instances where I need them. With VRayScatter you can actually do the same, however you need to do the mask painting in PhotoShop and projection map in Max. I think either Orionflame or Polyboost has a tool that can paint in the Max viewport. It is not that easy as with GroundWiz, but VRayScatter can handle way more instances !!! The world is not perfect...
Duche

Post by Duche »

Maxer wrote:Duche,
I understand that by using simple boxes to represent the scattered proxy's it's much faster and I'm not suggesting that you change that I'm saying that if you have 10 or 20 different proxies in the scene it's very hard to figure out which one is which. What if every time you created a scattered group of proxies the first proxy is represented as proxies are currently represented in Vray and all other associated proxies are just shown as a simple box, which would allow the user to see what each distributed group consisted of.
It looks like a good idea for future versions. Thank you.
Maxer wrote: So far I haven't been able to get masks to work, you should really provide a more in depth example of their operation and implementation in the user manual. Having said that it still takes time to make a mask where as a simple poly line defining an area would only take a few seconds to create and would give the program a lot more flexibility.
A few videotuturials will be available at next week.
Maxer wrote: Proxies that are created properly and saved can be merged into any file and they come in with their materials attached, if that weren’t the case then you'd have to recreate the proxy every time you started a new file. Right now even if you create the proxy in the file once you use vray scatter the proxy's material is replaced with a simple color, if I want to keep the proxy material it originally had I have to first put the material in the material editor before scattering the proxy. Once it's scattered then I have to reapply the material, this is inconvenient and should be a simple fix.
It's abslolutly the same process as then you create new proxy. Vrayscatter read proxy from disk from .vrmesh file. This file dont contain info about materials and color. Maybe in future version we add option tt choose not only .vrmesh file but also .max file.
Maxer wrote: As for scaling I'm not sure if the actual proxy is being scaled wrong or if the preview window is just showing it incorrectly but there is definitely something wrong. If you still don't understand I'll do some tests Monday and give you a more precise explanation of what is going on.
trick wrote:I agree with all the suggestions, but at the same time I can also see that with this system it is not that easy. If you really need this then I suggest you look at GroundWiz: it has the ability to show the full proxy previews and you can spray instances exactly where you want them. I always make a course render, put it as a background image in the Max viewport, and paint with GroundWiz the instances where I need them. With VRayScatter you can actually do the same, however you need to do the mask painting in PhotoShop and projection map in Max. I think either Orionflame or Polyboost has a tool that can paint in the Max viewport.
You can use vertexpaint texture for mask and paint it directly in max.
trick wrote:It is not that easy as with GroundWiz, but VRayScatter can handle way more instances !!! The world is not perfect...

Not just "more" - hundred times more!!! :) And mush more faster.