any more detail on what vraypattern is actually doing?

robinlawrie

any more detail on what vraypattern is actually doing?

Post by robinlawrie »

There has been limited info as to exactly what vraypattern is doing "under the hood"

Of course you want to protect what is obviously a very clever bit of code, but im not after the source code or anything, but a better description of how it differs from scattered proxies in terms of geometry handling, how it is related to the displacement system (its hard to picture it being based on the displacement system.. it seems to do a very different thing) also comments like "its good where high accuracy isnt needed" or "its not good for trees, better for things like grass" id like to know more of why.. does it prefer low poly source meshes? what are the accuracy issues? is it better to have a large tile and few repetitions or a small tile and lots of repetitions?

is there scope in the future to support things like varying scale/rotation etc over the tiled surface? or is it inherently impossible..?

also, things like... does it deform the source mesh over the target mesh, or tile them without distortion, aligned to the normals below.. also.. can the tiles overlap? what limitations are there on modifying the vraypattern? can we give an overall texture to it? apply uvw mapping etc? can we mix the original materials with overall ones?

at the moment it seems a little like witchcraft, rendering unlimited polygons without using very much memory... how does it differ from instanced geometry?

knowing more about how it works would definitely help deciding whether its really useful for my workflow...
GeorgeR

Re: any more detail on what vraypattern is actually doing?

Post by GeorgeR »

It's better not to think of it as geometry. Consider reflection and refraction - there's no instancing going on, just raytracing and matrix manipulation.
robinlawrie

Post by robinlawrie »

ok thats a start.. i can picture that.... any more?
robinlawrie

Post by robinlawrie »

it really would help to get more info about vraypattern this post has been up for ages, and ive had exactly 1 line of reply. id like to give you some of my cash, but i want to know some answers to my questions before i decide... anyone? admin?
anvar

Post by anvar »

have you tried to render sample files?
rs3d

Post by rs3d »

Is it based on any scientific paper, would also like to know more...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

VrayPattern based on Vray SDK possibility to create geometry based textures. This technology is close to vector displacement. We are using some ready algorithms provided by Vray SDK. I think it is better to ask on ChaosGroup forum, if you want to know about base algorithms.