New version: Development release

anthonyhicks

Re: New version: Development release

Post by anthonyhicks »

hi anvar,

i`ve just tried the updated version and it is a lot quicker, not realtime, maybe 5-6 seconds for timeline to update. interestingly i tried loading the original `old` file and it`s about the same, around 5 seconds. however in the stripped down version of my scene (just the `MS FANS` , 1 fan proxy mesh and spline distributor) it took over 2 minutes to move the timeline 1 frame to frame 14 and that`s off local ssd.

we can`t really use the updated scene since we heavily modified it so i don`t really fancy doing the job again just for a small update. maybe i can strip out MS objects and merge them in, see what happens.

it does seem strange though that somewhere this huge lag has crept into the file considering the original file is on par with the updated one. i don`t know idea what`s happened, maybe an option i`ve accidentally enabled ?
anyway thanks for your help, let me know if you want the stripped down version just to see if it`s something weird or something i`ve done.
thanks
anthony
anthonyhicks

Post by anthonyhicks »

hi,
sorry to bring this up again. i played a bit more with the stadium scene and i`ve narrowed down the issue to scattering type `regular pattern` . using this it`s extremely slow, switching to random distribution and it`s very fast . there is no equivalent slowdown using regular pattern on a surface or on a new complex spline, just on the Fan distribution spline in *my* stadium scene.

*** Ok, i think i`ve found the definitive culprit and it`s not the scene, it`s the spline. I had to scale the stadium up at some point and therefore scale the distribution spline up with it. If you have regular distribution and scale up the distributor spline then it gets slower and slower to where my update takes 2 mins. If you scale the distributor spline back down it speeds back up to where it becomes normal speed. I`ve tested this with a new spline and the MSFans spline. even with 55000 visible scatters it`s now real-time.

In my case i guess i could link everything to a dummy and hope the scene scales down correctly but would you consider this a bug ?

thanks
anthony
anvar

Post by anvar »

we will check
will you be able to send that stripped down version to our email? support@icube3d.com
anthonyhicks

Post by anthonyhicks »

Hi Anvar,

Sent via wetransfer. the MS object that`s visible is set to random pattern. Switch it to regular for the slow down then select the spline distributor and scale to 1% and it speeds up immensely. Scaling larger makes it worse again. I`m hoping it`s not just my system, I did test this in a brand new scene and it did the same thing.
thanks, enjoy your weekend.
anthony
anvar

Post by anvar »

Hi Anthony
thanks for this find
we are planning some work to improve viewport performance, and this issue will be addressed
meanwhile you can switch viewport update to manual
anthonyhicks

Post by anthonyhicks »

Hi Anvar,

Good to know it`s not just me, at least i`m not going crazy. Thanks for the manual tip, I`ll try that for now. Luckily it was only a small rerender of an old scene for and update so the headache is over for the time being.

thanks
Anthony