Animation speed parameter slows down scene with no animation.

anthonyhicks

Animation speed parameter slows down scene with no animation.

Post by anthonyhicks »

HI Anvar,
Using MS 1.608.
I`m assuming that if the MScatter animation Speed is set above 0 it will try to animate the Scatter objects. This seems to have a performance hit on 2 counts where it possibly shouldn`t: 1) if the sample objects have no animation, and 2) if the animation range is set from 0 to 0.

Basically I loaded an old scene that had some static rocks/plants as MScatters. Most of them have no animation(I`ll get to that) but loading them in I noticed the animation parameter is set to Speed 1.0 on all MS objects which has a performance hit on the viewport, I assume because they are trying to animate even though the sample objects (rocks) have no animation. I don`t know if that`s something that MS can check for ?

A possible special case are the objects that *are* animated only have a static Noise modifier to rough up some geospheres to rocky shapes. 3dsmax adds animated keyframes automatically even though it is switched off by default by a tick box. I don`t know if MScatter can be made aware of something like that or if it has to assume an object is animated when speed and animation range are anything other than 0 ?

One other thing, there is also a performance impact if animation Speed is set above 0 and the animated frames range is set from 0 to 0. Since I would assume this would result in no animation anyway maybe it could be disabled until given a valid range ?

To be fair in all cases so far setting Speed to 0 will recover any performance, it`s just a lot of our older files may have Speed set to 1 even though the samples have no animation because I`m assuming that in a much older MS version it didn`t seem to matter or we probably would have turned it off already.

thanks
Anthony
anvar

Re: Animation speed parameter slows down scene with no animation.

Post by anvar »

Hello Anthony
will you be able to send us an example file?
anthonyhicks

Post by anthonyhicks »

Hi Anvar,
I thought while I`m posting I`d point out another little thing I noticed. It`s minor but if it`s fixable, why not !
Multiscatter Objects eg Points/Boxes etc visibly appear through objects in front of them with a mapped Opacity map channel in the viewport. Let me know if you need a scene to show it.
thanks
anthonyhicks

Post by anthonyhicks »

Hi Anvar,
I`m getting another possibly more important issue(understatement) that I didn`t even notice.
None of the Multiscatter objects are rendering at all. Not in the test scene I sent or the scene it came from and also another completely different scene I was working on from a totally different project. I just tested a new scene with a plane and some scattered teapots and nothing renders at all ? This is using Max 2021 with 1.608 and Vray 3.7.
I went back to 2016 and MS 1.093 and Multiscatter is rendering fine.
I`ll tried reinstalling MS for Vray3.7+ and no difference. Is it licensing maybe I`ve messed up ? Has something changed ?
cheers
edit: One thing, I was using the latest demo of Fstorm. It was rendering Multiscatter ok, then I went back to Vray and nothing works. I don`t know if it was that that caused it because I hadn`t used 2021 with Multiscatter much before now ? I`ve reinstalled Vray and Multiscatter and nothing. Hmm.
anvar

Post by anvar »

Hello Anthony
possibly versions mismatch
when you change V-Ray version you also have to reinstall MultiScatter as it installs a connector for particular V-Ray version,
3dsmaxroot/MultiScatterVRay.dlo
anthonyhicks

Post by anthonyhicks »

hi Anvar,
I just installed Multiscatter 1.608 for 3dsmax 2020 Vray 3.7 and it worked fine.
I reinstalled 1.608 for 3dsmax 2021 and looked in in the 3dsmax Root and it hasn`t installed the MultiScatterVRay.dlo. Installing again.. Yes that`s definitely the problem, it`s not installing MultiScatterVRay.dlo in the root of Max 2021 for some reason ?
Did I break something ?
thanks
Anthony
edit: I`ve just checked the 2021 render slaves and they don`t have the MultiScatterVRay.dlo in the root either, installation or permissions issue maybe ?
* copied the MultiScatterVRay.dlo from 2020 folder and that seems to work as a temp fix.
anvar

Post by anvar »

anthonyhicks wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:40 pm hi Anvar,
I just installed Multiscatter 1.608 for 3dsmax 2020 Vray 3.7 and it worked fine.
I reinstalled 1.608 for 3dsmax 2021 and looked in in the 3dsmax Root and it hasn`t installed the MultiScatterVRay.dlo. Installing again.. Yes that`s definitely the problem, it`s not installing MultiScatterVRay.dlo in the root of Max 2021 for some reason ?
Did I break something ?
thanks
Anthony
edit: I`ve just checked the 2021 render slaves and they don`t have the MultiScatterVRay.dlo in the root either, installation or permissions issue maybe ?
* copied the MultiScatterVRay.dlo from 2020 folder and that seems to work as a temp fix.
that's probably because there is no V-Ray 3.7 for 3ds Max 2021