Scatter object from files?

cecofuli

Scatter object from files?

Post by cecofuli »

Hi,

it's possible, like in the old VRayScatter, load an object or multiple objects from file?
In the multiscatter I don't see this possibility and load from file is useful, like pick object in scene.
In mutliscatter, If I delete the source proxy from the scene, all disappears. And, if I've one only proxy source in external file, if I change that, all proxy in all the scene change. Very useful :)
With multiscatter this is not possible. In VRayScatter yes.

Regards

Francesco
peprgb

Re: Scatter object from files?

Post by peprgb »

I agree with you Francesco, this option was/is really useful in VrayScatter. In my case, i had a vrmesh which i link many times on the scene, giving differents materials (for grass), now i have to import those vrmesh into the scene and instance/copy (to apply different materials) (?¿)

Anyway.... i am loving MultiScatter's new features and viewport managing!!
Last edited by peprgb on Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
cecofuli

Post by cecofuli »

Ah, yes, it's very odd...

peprgb, do you have my same bug in the DR? See this post

https://icube3d.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=405

peprgb

Post by peprgb »

I don't use render nodes...

Regards,
cecofuli

Post by cecofuli »

Ok, thanks :) I'm waiting some official answer.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We cant save this mode in MultiScatter because vrayproxy objects dont have material info. In VrayScatter we assign material direct to VrayScatter object. It was ok because only one proxy was used in one VrayScatter object. But in MultiScatter we we have more then one objects inside and need to have "parent" objects in scene. It gives many benefits. You can use any type of objects (not only VrayProxy). You can change or animate parent object and objects inside MultiScatter will be updated. You can use for example "TreeStorm" objects without converting to mesh with anumation. If you have long animation, converitng such objects to "animated vrayproxy" gives to you incredible huge files. Now you dont need to do it.
And ofcouse you need to save "parent" objects in scene. If you want to change path to proxy or geometry of proxy, just select "parent" proxy object in scene and do it.
If you dont need parent objects in scene, just hide it or put on hidden or nonrendrable layer.
raistlin

Post by raistlin »

admin wrote:We cant save this mode in MultiScatter because vrayproxy objects dont have material info. In VrayScatter we assign material direct to VrayScatter object. It was ok because only one proxy was used in one VrayScatter object. But in MultiScatter we we have more then one objects inside and need to have "parent" objects in scene. It gives many benefits. You can use any type of objects (not only VrayProxy). You can change or animate parent object and objects inside MultiScatter will be updated. You can use for example "TreeStorm" objects without converting to mesh with anumation. If you have long animation, converitng such objects to "animated vrayproxy" gives to you incredible huge files. Now you dont need to do it.
And ofcouse you need to save "parent" objects in scene. If you want to change path to proxy or geometry of proxy, just select "parent" proxy object in scene and do it.
If you dont need parent objects in scene, just hide it or put on hidden or nonrendrable layer.
I'm not completely agree with that...
Ok i can understand the vraymesh limitation for matrials, but, the force of vrayscatter is to provide very light scene and confortable workspace with that, and if we have to hide on a layer a lot of things, we loose a kind aspect of this plug... So, i've one idea :
If we can't import files likes vrmesh maybe could we import .max scene where is exactly what we wan't wit references from that external files no?
Imagine i've a "pack" of vegetation for a landscape that i'm using very often, so i can save the "pack" which contain : trees, one other with flowers, one other with bush etc. and in multiscatter import in one multiscatter object one pack of them, also with that way, we have some "scene" with objects to scater in traditionnal mesh with materials animations etc. And as you cans say it, if we wan't to change some of them you can add a simple button to open the source files, or import materials directly in the definitiv scene no?

Must be a great thing, because 20 trees and 30 bush + 15 flowers are REALLY heavy in MESH...

thank you (and sorry for this worst english...)
Take a tour on my website ;)
https://www.vincent-grieu.com
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm not argee with you. You asking the standard feature of 3ds max called - exref object. Now with MuliScatter you can use exref objects inside Multiscatter. In exref object you can use two files. One very simple to represent object in max viewport and second ultrahipoly for render. Also you have possibility to change materials without opening exref object files. And it will be nothing in main max file. One more thing is in your idea - MultiScatterTexture will not work because materials comes from outside max files. I thing duplication of functionality and overloading by not necessary functions is not right way to improving of software product.
Here an example with exref. Box in viewport and hipoly sphere with MultiScatterTexture in render.
exref.jpg
exref.jpg (132.32 KiB) Viewed 13136 times
Sorry, my English also not so well :)
raistlin

Post by raistlin »

héhéhé :)

Happy to see that my word made a react

I really don't want to use xref files for multiscater, but a way to create some light scene than if we have to load heavy object that i say, i say that because i've take 2 month (yes TWO MONTH lol) to make my "library" for everything(cars, trees, flower, roof, bed, characters etc.), and it's a really great thing that work very well with vrayscatter, you just have import and transform to proxy each object which are in a simple max file, with it's own material. OK there is a chance to have twice same material, but not mesh... And the bitmap which is load is not duplicate...
Maybe you coul look about that ...

Sorry to tell about that but forest pack use a library system that's a really great thing... And if you'd want to have a 100% control on what you load... maybe it's the trick that you search that to have your own library tool...
And of course it's just some idea that i have and i'm using in my workflow...

I love to work with Vray scatter... and i would love to work also with multiscatter for a lot of option it have...
Take a tour on my website ;)
https://www.vincent-grieu.com
cecofuli

Post by cecofuli »

I agree with raistlin,
I made my own external Vrayproxy library and work very well with VRayScatter.
In fact, in my last project, I used VRayScatter and not Multiscatter.
Now I must import in my scene all VRayproxy tree source. Why?
Sorry, but I think you need to found a solution for that.
We VERY need "Load from file" option :)

Thank!